Sunday, November 23, 2008

0410 Hours, Ruthie Departs

I usually sleep downstairs in my recliner due to my back and acid reflux. When I have sick ratties, they also sleep in the cage right next to me. At about 0333 hours, I woke up to a noise of crying. I looked in the cage. Sprite, another little sick girl, was dancing around the cage, clearly agitated. I located Ruthie on the other side of the igloo. Her eyes looking sadly back at me. My heart started to cry. I picked her up and cuddled her close in a blanket. I told her how happy I was she came into my life and that I hope her friends had made her happy. The nearest 24 hour vet is at least 20 minutes away. And like Mr. Chuckles, I would rather she have me hold her than be scared in a car with no one holding her. So here we sat. She passed at 0410 hours.

Ruthie came to me in a round-a-bout way. A woman had contacted Quality Cage asking about rat information and they referred her to me. I spoke with her and eventually she asked that I take Ruthie. Ruthie didn't get on very well in my one cage of girls, so I made her boss of another cage. She lived with Tweek and Sprite. Eventually Zelda joined them when her cage mate passed.

So Ruthie will await private cremation at the Oregon Humane Society. I refused to take a picture of Ruthie after she became sick because she never held still long enough for me to take shots when she was healthy.

The only shot I have is with her in her cage after her and her cage mates decided to make a tent with their first hammock. They eventually learned that snuggling in the hammock was a lot more fun than making a tent. She is tucked in there right next to the "tent."

Rest in peace little Ruthie. I'm sure you'll get as many sunflower seeds as you want now.

No comments: