Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pinkie's Trial and Peace

Pinkie was put to sleep today. I had intended to bring her in last night but they refused to follow the procedures I set out. As long as the rats in my care meet the criteria, which Pixie did, I want them in my arms when they pass. Most of the rats in my care were "throw away" pets, some don't even like to be held. They deserve to be loved, even if they are cranky. Pinkie was such a girl. She loved her sister Pixie, but not much else.

When they first to came to Vermin Village, they were frightened little girls. They were both adopted from the Oregon Humane Society. They were 1 years old at the time. Thankfully, they had taken them in. They originally had a huge cage to start with, but Pinkie bit me and Pixie was terrified. So I got them an aquarium and they felt safer. Eventually I went to Quality Cages and got a topper for the aquarium and eventually they graduated to the cages. Both were avid wheel runners.

As time passed, they took food from my hands and didn't run in terror when I opened the cages but they still needed a blanket to pick them up because they did NOT like being held. They also were terrified during free range attempts so I always made sure their cages were BIG and full of stuff for them to mess around with. It must have been good because as of this month they turned 26 months old.

Pinkie is survived by her sister Pixie. I held Pinkie while they administered the sedative and after she was completely relaxed, they injected the medication into her abdomen, and I held her then too. She peacefully went to sleep. She is awaiting transport to OHS tomorrow for private cremation.

The whole trial of the situation was I had arranged an appointment last night with Rock Creek Veterinary Hospital. Every time I have been in previously they performed the procedure exactly as I wanted. This time, they refused. (Different doctor.) I left. They said it was too traumatic to watch. Um, if you don't know what you're doing, just say so. What really irritated me was that I specifically asked for the procedure to be performed in the specific manner when I made the appointment. To add insult to injury, when I called Dove Lewis, the attitude was, we don't give sedatives to rats. Well, we won't be going there either. It is all very disappointing. I wish there was a way to get the communities that should respect all animals to read up on taking care of animals that are pets. Rats do deserve respect, even if you don't like them. In Columbia, the same species of rats we have as pets, they use for clearing land mine fields. (The ones in Africa are a different animal, but they do the same.) And for the sacrifice of their lives for humans for research, they damn well deserve to be treated humanely.

Rest in peace little one. Now you don't have to put up with crappy people any more. I'll look after your sister for you, and when it is time for her, you will be reunited again with your playmate.

No comments: