Monday, June 7, 2010

Updated Rodent Mix

Continuing my rodent mix post, I'm putting my actual recipe here. I can and do continue to feed Harlan Teklad 2014/Native Earth 4018 lab blocks (whichever I have available) as all but 1 of my current residents love them. (My hamster Precious stacks them in the corner of her cage so I don't waste them by putting them in her cage anymore.)

This mix and the blocks are my dry maintenance diet for all residents (mice, gerbils, hamsters, and of course ratties). I will switch out grains with others, for example spelt flakes, but these are the ones that are reasonable. The rolled oats and pumpkin seeds are purchased from a feed store, the rest is all purchased at grocery stores or specialty markets. The dog food (www.cloudstar.com) and spinach (www.sfherb.com) are purchased online.

[Click on image to read it.]






All of my rodents eat everything in the mix so I'm pretty happy with it. The spinach and parsley breaks up but they still eat that too.

I did buy rolled barley from the feed store, but they did not care for it. I think part of it was because the hull was still on it (it was more like crimped barley although they sold it as rolled). I bought them the barley flakes from the bulk bins at the grocery store to try and they loved it so I buy it there. I don't mind buying it as long as they eat it.

This mix costs me about 90 cents a pound. That is way less than what you'd pay in a pet store for a crappy mix. But my cost is also held down because I buy full bags of bulk bin items, even at the grocery store. The only item I don't buy full bags of is the parsley. To order full bags at the grocery store, I make sure and order ahead. I am lucky that Bob's Red Mill is near where I live so I can travel there and pick up some items that are actually cheaper there than at the grocery store.

I did run my mix as it is above through the nutrition database and I got the information below: (Please note, the mix nutritional values do NOT include the lab blocks by Harlan/Native Earth.)


15 gram serving
Total Calories 49.65 kj
Calories From Carbs 33.6 kj
Calories From Fat 8.895 kj
Calories From Protein 7.065 kj
Calories From Alcohol 0 kj
Proteins and Amino Acides 1.98 kj
Carbohydrates 8.055 g
Dietary Fiber 1.59 g
Starch 2.73 g
Sugars 0.15 g
Fats and Fatty Acids

Total Fats 1.11 g
Saturated Fat 0.135 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.21 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.555 g
Total trans fatty acids 0 g
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids 0
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids 0
Total Omega-3 fatty acids 301.95 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids 249.3 mg
Vitamins

Vitamin A 306.9 IU
Vitamin C 0.855 mg
Vitamin D 2.37 IU
Vitamin E 0.3 mg
Vitamin K 11.535 mcg
Thiamin 0.105 mg
Riboflavin 0.06 mg
Niacin 0.69 mg
Vitamin B6 0.075 mg
Folate 199.2 mcg
Vitamin B12 22.05 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 0.21 mg
Choline 5.085 mg
Betaine 3.045 mg
Minerals

Calcium 30.15 mg
Iron 2.385 mg
Magnesium 21 mg
Phosphorus 48.45 mg
Sodium 10.8 mg
Zinc 2.175 mg
Copper 0.225 mg
Manganese 0.645 mg
Selenium 113.1 mcg
Fluoride 0
Sterols

Cholesterol 0 mg
Phytosterols 0 mg
Other

Alcohol 0 g
Water 3.045 g
Ash 0.405 g
Caffeine 0 mg
Theobromine 0 mg

No comments: