Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sprite Slips Away


Sprite slipped away early this morning. She had been suffering from chronic respiratory illness for the past few months. I actually contemplated having her PTS but when I'd think about it, she'd start darting around the cage. So I would put it off.

Sprite (previously named Tinkerbell) had come to us because her previous owner kept 2 of the babies Sprite had had. (They had put Drape, previously named Hammy, in the cage with her and surprise, ended up with ratlets.) They the babies, keeping 2. I had already adopted Drape so when I saw Sprite up, I took her too. She lived with Ruthie, Tweek and Zelda, but as she got more frail, I moved her on her own. Ruthie, Tweek and Zelda are already at the bridge, so Sprite will not be lonely.

I said good night to her last night after her medicine. When I went in this morning to give her medicine, she had passed, curled up in her hammock. I wrapped her in a clean rattie blanket and tucked her in a box and placed her in the freezer to await transport. She is survived by her "husband" Drape.

Rest in peace little one.

No comments: