Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bella News

I did Bella's health check on Friday when she came in. Poor little girl had to suffer the indignity of me pressing on her. But I noticed she had a small part of her belly that looked a bit puffy in part. I check again this morning and the area had gotten bigger. It isn't an abscess, unless she did something to herself. It looks like a mammary tumor. At over 2 1/2 years of age, that would definitely not be uncommon. I spoke with her original parents to give them an update on how she settled in and said I would bring her to the vet to check her out and discuss possible surgery. Although she is older and carrying quite a bit of extra weight, I worry about the anesthetic. But I want to try as she is such a sweet girl and deserves the best care.

Meanwhile, she has integrated WONDERFULLY with her 5 new female cage mates. I couldn't be more pleased with how well they have done. 2 of the girls, Sammie and Brixton came to me as single girls and have been living together for some time. Then 3 girls, Gretta, Betsy and Hannah came from a friend that actually rescues another species and took these girls in. She felt they might do better with me due to my working with ratties. I was glad to take them in. These 5 girls have been living side by side in a divided cage. The divider has now been removed and they were put in a new cage where Bella joined them. I've been really lucky with these girls. I swear by the divided cages, or putting cages right next to each other no space. This way they end up pulling each others blankets through and getting used to each others' sent.

I hope the news goes well with Bella.

No comments: