Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tickle's Time & Legacy

Tickle, the rattie on the left side, joined his brother, Mr. Chuckles, at the Rainbow Bridge on March 1, 2008. He was 2 years and 1 month old. They were both adopted from the Oregon Humane Society in July 2007.

Tickle was an outgoing rattie, more so than his brother Mr. Chuckles. Tickle loved doing pirouettes on my shoulders, bruxxing and boggling all the time. As he got older, he loved to snooze in his hammock and while he was in it keeping himself covered with a paper plate or a large piece of paper.

After his brother's passing, he would not bond with other ratties so he lived alone. I made sure to spend more time with him.

Thursday night he seemed a bit "off" to me, but was still active and playful, eating and drinking. Friday night he took a turn for the worse. He'd have periods of his normal self and other times where he appeared to be having seizures. He also had trouble keeping himself clean so I had to do it for him. I spent the night holding him. Saturday showed no change and his playfulness was lessening and he was showing very little interest in food. He was starting to feel cold, even with the heating pad. I knew it was time to let him go.

My husband made the call and we brought him to Rock Creek Veterinary Hospital. I was so upset that I started bawling before we even got in the car. When we got there, I balked and said they had to check him first to make sure that I wasn't imagining anything. No, we were supposed to bring him, his sounds were really bad. The doctor was really nice to our little guy and I got to stay with Tickle and hold him.

After he passed, I wrapped him in the last hammock I made for him from green polar fleece that he didn't actually use. I brought his remains home and placed him in the freezer to await transport to the Oregon Humane Society on Monday for private cremation.

Tickle and Mr. Chuckles may not have been with our family long, but their legacy will live on here. They were such good ambassadors that they charged us to stepping in for 37 of the 39 ratties that currently live with us. (2 are from a breeder so are not rescues.) Each rattie is special and has a story, some good, some not so good, and a few downright harrowing.

Tickle and Mr. Chuckles will never be forgotten. I take solace in the fact you are together again. I know I will eventually stop crying but right now...

Rest in peace my gentle little giants, the Founders of Vermin Village.

Tickle (1/2006-03/01/2008) and Mr. Chuckles (1/2006-11/15/2007)

2 comments:

Epilogue Rat Haven said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Ms. Pickles' orginal name from her previous owners was Tickle...
Interesting coincidence?

LuvRats said...

I am so sorry for your loss of Pickle. Your tribute was very moving. I wish our furry friends time on earth was longer. I hope Pickle and Mr Tickle are having a grand ol' ratty time together once more!