Saturday, March 22, 2008

Samantha and Tweek News

Well, Tweek gave us quite a scare on Monday. Doctor called and said he was prepping her for surgery and after he shaved her, she stopped breathing. He brought her back and said he wanted her on heart medication for a few days and then they would try the surgery again. Her tumor was a damned if you do and damned if you don't tumor as it was already getting very large and it would kill her sooner than her heart would. I gave her medication, Lasix and Enapril. Diuretic and a blood pressure medication. She had her surgery rescheduled for Thursday. I asked if they could see Sam then (Sam's appointment was made for Saturday). They moved her to Thursday too.

I was anxious at work while I knew Tweek was going under. After lunch I just couldn't wait any longer so I called them. Tweek had made it through surgery and was waking up. Phew. Doctor was examining Sam.

Doctor called about 10 minutes later. Tweek was waking up fine and was still a bit groggy. But Sam was the bad news. Her tumor was really bad news.

I originally noticed a slight oddness in her walk and in the alignment of her leg. When I made Tweek's surgical appointment, before the Mercer Island, Washington rat show, I tried to get Sam in to be seen that same day but no openings. But I was able to get her in when Tweek went in for her second attempt. By the time she got into the vet (2 days before her original appointment), the "oddness" with her leg had gotten bigger and worse. The news from the doctor was grim.

At the very least he would have to amputate the leg. But he was certain he couldn't get all of it and he was really certain it was one of 2 cancers, possibly three. The tumor was very deep and so wrapped around the leg he was certain it was already in the body as well. He said he'd do the surgery, but he couldn't promise anything. I asked how long she had without the surgery. He said possibly 2 months. So we made the choice to give her hospice. I want her last bit of time on earth to be happy with her sister and helping her sister adjust to getting used to new ratties so when Sam has to leave, Zelda would be ok.

So here it is, late Saturday night, and I'm rearranging the rattie room to accommodate this tragedy. The upside is that I'm glad Sam and Zelda have been with me since 6 months of age. I originally adopted them from the Oregon Humane Society and we got off to a rocky start but they're wonderful little girls. They are now only 13 months old.

By rocky start I mean I didn't take the cage with them when I adopted them from the Humane Society. That was a mistake. Zelda pouted for 18 hours. As long as it took me to get her home and in her new cage until the next evening when I got home from work and went in to check on her to see if she was still pouting as she was that morning. I broke down and went to Petco and found the same cage only bigger. After putting her in that, she stopped pouting. Now she is completely out of that cage, but has a similar wheel--that's how she keeps her girlish figure. Of course Sam usually runs on it with her. Now Sam doesn't run on the wheel, but she does get on it and walk.

I hope Zelda is okay when Sam has to go. I think this time will allow Sam to prepare Zelda. I think they know.

I've lost one mouse by walking in and finding that he had passed. I lost my very first rat, Pokey, in 1994, when I walked in and she had died at 9 months of age. I've lost 2 senior boys adopted this past July. One passed in my arms at home, the other at the vets when I had him PTS. I honestly can't say it is easy, but I do prefer being there when they pass so they know they aren't alone.

I wish this was a happier post. I thought I would be happy about getting the room done this weekend, but it isn't as exciting with the knowledge that Sam won't really get to play in it for very long.

One saddened Rat Slave says goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really hope that your ratties are okay after surgery. I just lost one of my rats, Ratatouille.