Saturday, September 5, 2009

Luke Is Helped to the Bridge

Sadly, I had to help Luke to the bridge. I was cleaning the cages and noticed that Luke was having a really hard time. He's been battling respiratory illness on and off for some time now. His chest appeared to barely expand anymore. I am very upset over this. I knew Sherman, Luke's cage mate, was going to have a hard time with this.

I pet and talked to Luke as he slipped away. He was then prepared to be taken to OHS for private cremation.

Luke was adopted with his brother Owen. Owen was also about 6 months older than Luke. Owen passed not long after he came here due to respiratory issues. It all happened rather fast!

Eventually, Luke and Sherman were introduced. Both being intact males, I had to be very careful. They hit it off right away. I was amazed. Sherman didn't like anyone else I had tried to introduce him to before.

When I left, Sherman was huddling in the front corner of his cage. Sherman is actually considerably older than Luke--Sherman is almost 3 years old. He is still very spry and big and cuddly. It was hard leaving him home while I came to California on vacation. I'm hoping he is ok. There wasn't time to arrange for him to stay with someone else. My husband is taking care of the little guys but I know that it is hard to spread yourself so thin with only one person there. I don't have anyone to put with Sherman. Sherman was actually very hard to find a buddy for. I was amazed that he and Luke hit it off. Luke, half the size of Sherman, used sleep on top of Sherman like a rattie blanket.

Rest in peace little Luke! You will be missed.

No comments: