Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hades

Hades earned the nickname the Peacemaker a few weeks ago. Between him and Dumbo, their calm and loving personalities made the introduction of all 6 boys, Hades, his cage mate Diego, Drape and his cage mate Chester, and Dumbo and his cage mate Eddie go real smooth. Every time something started, either Dumbo or Hades was there to break it up.

Hades was a pink-eyed, white (PEW). He was over a year old (as he was adopted, I'm never sure of their ages).

It is with great sadness that I had to put Hades to sleep this evening. He and his brother Diego came here this fall. He and Diego were just introduced to Dumbo, Eddie, Chester and Drape. They had just moved into their new house, Tickle Terrace. Two days ago I noticed Hades looked lethargic as he reclined in one of the hammocks. Pulling him out I felt he would be best if I kept a real close eye on him so he came downstairs...so I could see which way the wind was blowing with him. He didn't really seem sick, he just seemed a bit "off." But they are so damn good at masking things. I got home today and I knew exactly what was wrong although I tried to deny it. I made an appointment to see if anything would help.

Apparently he had suffered some type of cardiac event. I had a few options but he looked so miserable and I swore after Mr. Chuckles death, in the middle of the night, I would never make them stay around just to make me feel better. I knew when I went to the hospital how he might come home.

I had the wonderful folks at Rock Creek Veterinary Hospital follow Debbie D's recommendation for putting ratties to sleep and he passed peacefully. I wrapped him in his blue blanket and brought him home. His remains will be taken for private cremation at OHS.

Before he passed, I whispered in his ear...that he would see his family that has already passed and friends at the bridge that were former residents would be waiting to play with him. I would take good care of his brother until he too needed to make the journey. He sighed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimber,

I am so sorry about Hades. Your blog on him moved me to tears. He sounded like a very sweet soul, that was very much loved by you and his brothers in fur. RIP Hades and run free at the bridge.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Hades, he was a sweet boy while I had him and I am sure that you enjoyed him. At least I know that he had a happy life while it lasted...thanks for giving that to him. And now he is the one that has to be waiting for the rest of the family that havent already gone to the bridge