Monday, February 11, 2008

Broccoli Ticks

Ok. The list of forbidden foods say do not feed wild insects. I am so lucky I was cutting the broccoli for the ratties and not me though. I cut it very fine for them otherwise they argue over the pieces if they are too big. (If I was cutting it for human consumption...I would have not seen the bugs.) As I was cutting, I noticed a bug here or there. I kind of expect that, it's organic. Then I really started looking. Up right under and into the florets these big bugs that I think were grayish/black that clung to the floret as if they were ticks! I could not rinse or spray them off, I had to use my nail and scrap them off. If I had a sandblaster I might have gotten them off of course the broccoli would have been gone too. :-) After looking at how many there were, I packed it up and brought it back--the store is really good and gave me my money back..the guy was really horrified. The babies got something easier to clean tonight in its place...baby bok choy.

Has anyone been seeing a lot of this? This is the second time I found stuff on my broccoli within two months. I swear I'm going to frozen. :-( Really irritates me too...what self-respecting native Californian transplanted to Oregon likes to eat out of rigor broccoli? Yuck!

Although...I guess it is better than broccoli and friends. ;-)

No comments: