Thursday, January 22, 2009

Curly Passes

Curly, the 2nd of three male mice brothers, passed on 1/21/2009. They were adopted in July 2007 just over the age of 3 months. Curly was approximately 20 months old.

The three brothers started their life together at Vermin Village at 3 months of age. They were 3 of the 5 original founders. (Mr. Chuckles and Tickle being the rattie founders.) They originally lived in that plastic housing they sell with all of the tubes. CRAP. I say it again, CRAP. It was hard to clean, smelled within 5 minutes of them being placed in it and it was CRAP. I had the easiest one to clean. Then to top it off, they could escape, so I had to put wire over the door wire. I was so frustrated, I ended up making 2 cages. One for the 3 brothers and one for Pepe. I highly recommend never buying that plastic stuff for ANY animal. Either make your own or go and buy a real cage! They have awesome cages for gerbils and hamsters at Quality Cages, you can visit them at www.qualitycage.com. Mouse cages are another matter, but you can have them make one for you or you can make your own, having them cut the wire for you (because they have the tools to make each piece FLAT). If you do have them make you one, spend the extra money and get it powder coated! For the levels, I used the corner ledges you can get at petstores or online.

Anyway, Curly's remains have been placed with his other brother that has passed, in the freezer. When Moe passes, I'll take them to the Oregon Humane Society for private cremation. They can all be in the same urn together. It was only in the last 2 months upon doing their weekly health check, that I separated them. I noticed Moe had a small lump on him (he is not a candidate for surgery, he's too old). Larry was eaten after he passed so I didn't want the same fate to befall Moe so I put the two brothers side by side in separate cages.

Rest in peace Curly.

No comments: