Monday, February 25, 2013

Brownie has come and gone

Sadly little Brownie, 2 years old, wasn't with us long.  After getting her home, I assessed her and decided to bring her to the vet that Saturday.  I believe the tumor was a bit more than a tumor.

The decision to euthanize is never taken lightly.  I actually paused because I wanted to make sure she had an advantage, but I also didn't want her last week of life, being a struggle of me forcing medication into her mouth and her getting sick from the medicine.  After watching her walk around the table while waiting for our doctor (we were early), her leg was also pushed out of position so she had to hobble.

Hamsters, like most small animals, are pretty stoic little critters.  She was a big girl to begin with and she was extremely sweet.  She had to be to never bite given the amount of pain she probably was in.

She was very well loved in her original home and she was well loved the brief time she was here.  The picture above was taken by her pet parent who gave me permission to post it here.  She kind of reminds me of a gourd in this picture.  Or maybe a pear. :*)

Her remains have been prepared for private cremation.

Be free little...er big one.  :*)

No comments: