Monday, January 7, 2013

Reeses and Nutella and Their Digs!

This is the first version of their digs.  I will be making some changes for the next time, but this is pretty good for now.  They are really enjoying their "burrow."  I "built" a chamber with a tunnel to it just like an article I read about preventing them from digging in corners.

I was only able to get Nutella in this series.  Reeses took one look at the camera and ran back into the burrow and wouldn't come out.  I think he made Nutella come out and see.



As you can see I took cardboard and surrounded the part of the cage I was putting the burrow in.  I don't use tanks because I can't interact with the critters as well and they are too heavy for me to lift to clean.  Anyway, I made a square of soda boxes that connect together and put holes in them to the inner part that is open (kind of like a courtyard).  Then I buried it all under the crinkled paper.  I placed a wire balcony over that and they jump up there sometimes. The original intent was the pink bucket was to be their sand but it doesn't work as I'd like it to so I put another one in their cage.





Here's the opening to the burrow.  When I put the kids in here they scrambled all around the open part and then shot into the burrow and up through the middle.  They were so excited!


So the food can't be buried as easily, balconies were laid down.  It also helps to keep the water bottle and wheel areas clear of paper.  All cages get two water bottles.  I use the Lixit Recycled Water Bottle Kit.




They get a giant silent spinner.



View of the burrow from the top.  (I was hoping Reeses would pop up.)




I'll try to get Reeses pics in the morning.  These little guys are really busy about 4 am.

I'm going to be setting up the hamster cages in a similar fashion with sand bath and a burrow.  I'm sure it will keep them really busy!

No comments: