Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bo, Beau, Boe, Bau, Bow, Boh, Bou, and Booh

OHS released 8 boys to my care on December 10, 2009.   Their age stated 1.5 years however my friend and I are convinced that there is a greater age range in the group of 18 rats.  (She took 10.)

They have varying degrees of sociability, but I'll work with them on that.  All of the ones I adopted are black and white, I call them my checkerboard crew.  I do have many rats of this coloring but not in such a big group. :D

The live, all together, in one of the custom multi-level Quality Cages.  They seem to really like it.  There is a little squabbling but I'm sure they'll adjust.  I do have female rats in the room so I'm hoping there won't be a problem.  I normally have NEVER had a problem, but you never know.  They don't appear to be too sure as to what a hammock is but eventually ratties seem to get it.  I've only had a three ratties, ironically all boys, NOT like hammocks...or at least set to redecorate with them.  The really seem to like the shredded paper.  They are making rattie paper wakes. :D

They tend to hoard their food.  I'm sure that behavior will change as they find they are fed regular.  (They were fed regular at the shelter, no worries there, it was their previous home I am concerned about.)

I'd like to thank D for picking these boys up before they were euthanized!   I'm sure they'll be good little gentleman.  Unfortunately,  someone at the shelter was bit and a few of the boys aren't too sure about being picked up.  This makes it harder to adopt them out because they can only go to rat experienced homes.  And while there are several of us dedicated rattie lovers, sometimes we just don't have room for more.  In this case, both D and I made room.   There is nothing we can do about the girls though.  They aren't at the shelter and we don't know how to contact the person.  If there was a way, I'd drive them to Boise, ID or Chico, California to get them spayed, but not in December.

And their names are:  Bo, Beau, Boe, Bau, Bow, Boh, Bou, and Booh.  They look similar but there are actual differences, it's just easier calling them all the same name.  Their pictures and names got scrambled at OHS so they weren't too sure either.  Easy mistake.

Welcome to the checkerboard boys!

No comments: